Marko Marulić Square 9a, Zagreb
YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION
YEAR OF RECONSTRUCTION
Antun Heinz, Matija Antolec, Josip Dryak, Milan Lenuci
AUTHOR OF RECONSTRUCTION
INITIATOR OF THE IDEA OF THE NEED TO ESTABLISH A BOTANICAL GARDEN
Prof. Dr. Bohuslav Jiruš
The idea to establish a botanical garden at the Botanical-Physiological Institute of the Faculty of Philosophy was initiated by Bohuslav Jiruš, the first professor of botany at the University of Zagreb. His successor Antun Heinz managed to realize the idea by founding the Botanical Garden in 1889. After a one-year journey and tour of European botanical gardens, with the help of the gardener Viteslav Durhanek, he made the main draft according to which the Garden was shaped. It is integrated into the frame of the Green Horseshoe of the Lower Town in which the dominant axes of the Garden are connected with urban directions. At the end of the 19th century, simultaneously with the arrangement of parterres and planting of greenery, functional buildings were built by the concept of park arrangement. The central greenhouses for displaying and storing plants, in the central area of the garden, and the exhibition pavilion on the eastern side of the plot, are dominant elements of representative architecture of special purpose built by 1892. The construction of the gardener’s house in 1889 was followed by the installation of a series of objects: an aquarium with a fountain, a bridge on the lake, a gazebo, a lookout and a public toilet, in the forms of historicist styles. The portal of the main entrance to the garden and the fence were executed in 1900. The shaded promenade on the southern border is the only new building from 2020, and it existed around the rondel. The historic buildings have been renovated under the supervision of conservators.