Bolnička cesta 32, 10090 Zagreb
YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION
AUTHOR OF RECONSTRUCTION
1881—1899 extensions, adaptations due to the increasing number of patients
Construction “Entrepreneurship” Ludvig Deutsch, Rill and Schöman, Budapest
It was built on the land of Topolnica in Stenjevec, a few miles away from the centre of Zagreb. In 1879 the first patients from the 13th Department of the General Hospital of the Brothers of Mercy in Zagreb were relocated to the newly built Hospital. The hospital was planned to accommodate 250 patients, but after a few years, it was necessary to accommodate twice as many, which is why extensions and adaptations were initiated. The hospital was an example of modern construction according to therapeutic needs at the time. It has a separation of departments into separate buildings within a connected complex. The construction of the buildings was carried out like many constructions of public buildings of that time from solid brick. All walls of different thicknesses depending on whether it is a load-bearing line of walls or partition walls. The interior layout uses a corridor system of rooms, patient rooms, doctor’s rooms, outpatient rooms, and daycare with a kitchen. The pavilions within the Hospital circle in volumes and facade solutions of late Renaissance buildings, and Waidmann’s solutions are also park plantations that he chose to improve the environment with a model of French gardens. Although well known in European countries, the positional plan according to which the complex of buildings in mutual relation in garden architecture was solved is the first such example in Croatia.