Immovable individually protected cultural property
St. Cyril and Methodius Street 5, Zagreb
YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION
17th century – 19th century
Antun Cragnolini Aleksandar Seć Franjo Klein Janko Grahor
The complex of the Old City Hall, in St. Cyril and Methodius Street 5, consists of three different buildings that were joined by adaptation at the end of the 19th century for the activities of the city administration. Throughout history, the building has been adapted, upgraded, and changed its purpose. For the needs of the city magistrate in 1833, a second floor was added to the brick palace Erdödy – Oršić (builder Antun Cragnolini), while the old dilapidated city hall building at the corner of Cyril and Methodius Street and St. Mark’s Square is demolished. In its place, with an extension to two parcels in Freudenreich Street, a new theatre building is being built. Zagreb merchant Kristofor Stanković, having won the main prize in the Vienna lottery in 1832, decided to invest it in the construction of a theatre and the foundation stone was laid on August 12, 1833. After the opening of the new theatre in 1895, the City took over the old theatre building and in 1897 adapted it for the needs of the city administration. In 1958, the city administration, built a new building, today at Stjepan Radić Square 1, left an old seat, and sessions of the City Assembly are still held in the Old City Hall. A complete renovation was carried out from 1968 to 1975 with extensive restoration and conservation works according to the projects of architect Andrija Mutnjaković.